Sunday, March 18, 2012

Honesty


"Ask me anything," she said.
"Anything?" He blew on his coffee.
"Sure," she said.
"Well," he said, wracking his brain to find a good question, he had so many. 
"Why now?" He tried to look her in the eye, but couldn't. Whoever said breaking up with someone was hard was lying; it was terrifying. 


"What do you mean, why now?" She said.
"I mean, why is it that it's only now I can ask you anything? Why couldn't I do that before? You would answer, but it was as if you weren’t really there."
"Oh," she said, "right. Good question. I think maybe I just liked you so much, and I was afraid to scare you away if I told you the truth."


“So tell me, do you really like Star Wars, or was that a lie?” He said.
“I had never in my life seen a Star Wars movie before I met you, but now I kind of like them.” She shrugged her shoulders.
“Never?? How could you not have seen Star Wars?” He had had his suspicions, but was still shocked to find out the truth.
“And while we’re on the subject, I like the remastered versions of the old Star Wars movies better than the originals.” She said in a rush.


For a long time, he was speechless, until he couldn’t help himself and started laughing. She giggled.


He took her hand in his, shook it, and said:
“Hi, I’m John, it’s so nice to finally meet you! Can I buy you a cup of coffee?”




10 comments:

  1. Sometimes we get so entangled in our stories in relationships that we can't be ourselves anymore and breaking up is the best thing that can be done to restore honest interaction. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is really hard to be honest when you're falling in love, but if you can manage it, falling in love is a whole lot more fun :)

      Delete
  2. Jeg likte dette... veldig sant. Veldig bra skrevet.

    You fly your way in a wonderful way ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takk, Demie. Trives med å finne på nye ting. Denne teksten var litt for å øve meg på replikker, syns det kan være utfordrende å få til.

      Delete
  3. This quaint moment was really charming. Quite possibly, a honest reproach will spark a deeper connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) For me, it's impossible to have deeper connections without honesty.

      Delete
  4. LOL..that was interesting.Honestly..innovative 'honest'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more innovative, the more fun I have writing it ;)

      Delete